Sunday, July 21, 2013

Inspired by the Chester Garden Tour

It's always inspiring to visit other gardens whenever possible so even though it was hot enough to split rocks yesterday, my friend Sher and I set out at eleven to cover as much territory as possible. Seven gardens were showcased in Chester, Nova Scotia presented by the gardeners and the Chester Municipal Chamber of Commerce so thought I would share a few of the highlights.

Our first was a well established garden, overlooking Marriot's Cove. What inspired me was the enormous dedication of the couple who have so lovingly worked turning a hay field into a peaceful retreat for over twenty years.
Overlooking the Cove
The gentleman of the property came out to introduce himself, passing by one of the two enormous wisteria in the gardens. Is that not awesome!
The many fruit trees began as an experimental orchard and even though aged, they were loaded with maturing pears, peaches and apples. What I wouldn't give for even a small orchard. Next garden ;-)

We decided to take our lunch in the gazebo at Lordly Park where Niki Jabbour was offering a "Question and Answer" period and so we had the opportunity to pick her brain! Folks really enjoyed having a quiet question time by my estimation and I think Niki was pleased to sit in the shade and offer good sound advice. Everyone received free copies of Gardens East Magazine which was a bonus. Niki.....love the blue sandals.

A garden that really spoke to my veg and flower garden soul was at the Hackmatack property. It's cottage style with a large "X" pathway, pulled you to meander through and admire the combination of vegetables and herbs surrounded and studded by masses of flowers including lots of beneficials. I read the X in the pathway is symbolic of the blue cross found on the Nova Scotian flag...nice.


What also inspired me was the way some of the other gardeners used art in the garden particularly, a new garden built on a slope so, one had to be very sturdy indeed as the heat was about 33 c.
Gardening on a steep slope
This made me smile and was a clever way to use stone and brick we thought. The Canadian Flag in terracotta and limestone.
 There's a garden we always look up and admire when we're on our boat coming into Chester by water. The rose in the first photo was taken there. The long bed is a mass of pink petunias which never fails to bring a smile.
The house was clad in roses as well as the arbour and fence. It just made me sigh with longing..how beautiful.
Smokebush with possibly Robin Hood Rose
Last but not least by any means, was a very fine garden on Sophie's lane. Two fantastic Brugmansia were growing by the gate, outstanding in beauty and fragrance!
One would have to have a greenhouse to store those over winter, and the gardeners at this estate do have one..a fantastic greenhouse in fact where tropicals grow and food is harvested for the table year round.
The handout contained a quote by Hugh Johnson..."No two gardens are the same, No two days are the same in one garden."  When I think of the variety of gardens we visited, not all included here, this quote is resoundingly true. Each and every garden from grand to modest, inspired, awed, taught, and filled us with the pleasure of that gardener's gift of sharing.
The Tropical Greenhouse at Lobster Point was stunning!
2007 when the sound of trickling water welcomed you on entry.


22 comments:

  1. *sigh*
    How beautiful! I haven't been on a garden tour in ages - they do so much to inspire me - lovely ideas to be had!
    Your photos are lovely. I particularly liked the one of the harbour over the bed of pink petunias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pondside. So pleased you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you - I just love touring other gardens for both inspiration and ideas. How wonderful that you had the opportunity to have questions answered!! Your photos are just beautiful - thanks for taking us on the tour with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Staci. It was a great day although so very hot. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a wonderful day. The greenhouse looks amazing....and off topic a bit, I love the top you are wearing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, thanks for commenting and your compliment. The greenhouse is truly amazing and I believe it was imported from England.

      Delete
  4. You did have a busy day! I think the Hackmatack garden would have been my favourite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, that garden really spoke to me as well. I should post another photo of it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. I feel a bit homesick looking at the pictures of the Chester basin! Looks like you had a perfect day for a tour and how nice that you were able to share the day with gardening friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have enjoyed it so much Jennifer. Maybe you might make it here next year about this time and take it in. Later in August, there is a home and garden tour that is very popular.

      Delete
  6. Oh Bren, thanks for including the photo of you and I! That was a great treat to have you pop by and visit.. wonderful to chat over the picnic lunch.. lovely photos too. You have such an artistic eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was ours Niki. Great to see you again and meet other gardeners. Hear you had quite a few gardeners stop by and enjoy the afternoon with you, asking questions and getting advice. Great idea!

      Delete
  7. Dear Bren,
    Thank you for the tour of these very special gardens and greenhouse. That potted Brugmansia is incredible - wow!! I can imagine the pair of them welcoming guests and visitors. And the tropical greenhouse at Lobster Point is indeed stunning. Is that public or private?
    Cheers from DC,
    Loi
    Tone on Tone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loi, so pleased you enjoyed the tour as I did yours in Maine. Yes the Brugmansia was incredible and I was so surprised to see them growing in our area. The greenhouse is quite large by our standards and it is private. Yet, the owners open it to the annual garden tours and are community spirited. They even provided drinks and cakes. Very hospitable. Maybe you should visit Nova Scotia ;-) As the locals might comment "Chester's a Yankee town"..big grin.

    Thanks for commenting and dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit Nova Scotia! It is high on my list!!

      Delete
  9. Loved the tour - you showed us some lovely gardens and the view of the water and the boats is absolutely stunning. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a fantastic tour and what a great day out! That greenhouse, oh my, to have one of those. Although I loved the white house with the blue trim and oodles of pink flowers. thanks for taking us along on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marguerite you would have loved it. Yes, the greenhouse is quite spectacular... thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for the wonderful Blog which you did on our Garden Tour. We are also glad that you enjoyed it. We would love if you would share any other photos that you may have taken with us! :)Angela Admin@ChesterAreaNS.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela...well extra photos are on their way to you. I did post the best but you are welcome to use the others with a little credit to the photographer)))). It was a great event and we were so thrilled to attend. Thanks so much for your great comment.

      Delete
  12. How completely lovely! Some places I recognized but none have I seen as up close as you.
    Brenda - we're moving to Labrador! We'll keep one house here and go back and forth hopefully for just three or so years but I'm very excited. Gardening in the north? We'll see. I'll use my blog (the simple life one) to write about my adventures...

    ReplyDelete